Here are the steps to change the URL/ host header in SharePoint 2007 or WSS 3.0:
- Open Central Administration.
- Browse to "Operations" and then to "Alternate Access Mappings".
- Click on the dropdown displaying "Show All", select "Change Alternate Access Mapping Collection".
- Choose the URL you wish to modify.
- Select "Edit Public URLs".
- Change the URL's for the zones you have defined in this case change default from http://
to http:// and click save.
- Update IIS to reflect these changes made to SharePoint. Open IIS Manager, expand the nodes and locate the web site.
- Right click and select properties.
- Click on the Web Site tab
- Click on advanced.
- Modify the host header to the new value.
- Click OK and close IIS Manager.
- Perform an IISRESET (Start > Run > IISRESET)
- Test page by browsing to URL
- If the page fails proceed to ->create a DNS entry
- Remote into DNS server
- Go to Admin Tools->DNS
- In Forward Lookup Zone, go to the zone you want to create custom name
- Right click on zone
- Add Alias, put in the custom FQDN or site name
- Wait for the DNS to replicate or force replication
- On local machine run ipconfig /flushdns from command line
is where my documents live!